About Grant Housing and Economic Development Corporation
A California Non-Profit 501(c)(3) Corporation
GHEDC continues its mission to provide leadership in the economic development and empowerment of the residents of Watts and other underserved communities of Los Angeles and neighboring areas.
Chris R. Jordan has been the Executive Director of GHEDC since November of 2000. He has served on many community boards and organizations, and continues to provide leadership in the community. He also continues to spearhead the work of our non-profit by providing direction in developing program, organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff, and carries out plans and policies of the organization.
The key to the successes we have achieved has been through our faith and the determination to make a positive change in the lives of the people we encounter in the area we serve. We offer neighborhood empowerment!
GHEDC PROJECTS and PROGRAMS
- $2 million CDBG award for site acquisition and mixed use development
- Co-Chair a community development coalition of individuals and organizations called Watts Re:Imagined
- 92 – units of affordable housing on Central Avenue in addition to other single and multi-family housing opportunities
- $525,000 grant award from the California Natural Resources Agency to manage an urban greening project on Central Avenue between 103rd and 105th
- $1 million – Watts Greening Project –Two-year planning and implementation grant for infrastructure construction work in Watts – GHEDC in partnership with the Harbor/Watts EDC.
- After school lab and continuing education for Imani Fe residents and area youth, including computer technology training and adult job search.
- Community training services
- Local food distribution program